Serotonin is a neurotransmitter with many functions, including the regulation of intestinal processes, mood, appetite, sleep, memory, and learning. Low levels of serotonin are associated with a range of conditions, including chronic and migraine headaches, chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and depression. There are antidepressant drugs that work by raising serotonin levels, but they are associated with adverse side effects. 5-HTP is an amino acid that occurs naturally in the body and is a precursor to serotonin. 5-HTP is converted into serotonin and studies show that supplementation can raise serotonin levels and reduce symptoms associated with low serotonin.
- High-potency 5-HTP extracted from Griffonia simplicifolia seed
- Helps relieve fibromyalgia symptoms such as pain, morning stiffness, fatigue, and anxiety
- Helps prevent migraine and tension headaches
- May help decrease overeating caused by low serotonin
- Helps to promote healthy mood balance
- Can be used with a program of reduced intake of dietary calories and increased physical activity, to help in weight management by reducing carbohydrate cravings
- Can be used as a sleep aid